17 May 2017, Addis Ababa: The continental Youth Advisory Board for Sexual and Reproductive Health and rights was set up in November 2015 to represent young people from African and the diaspora in the review, development, popularization and accountability initiatives as they relate to young people’s policies in Africa. It is a model of youth participation and engagement in continental policy interventions, bridging the gaps between continental decision making platforms, national and community level policy contexts and implementation. The YAB capacitates young people and positions them to bring the youth voice in spaces where youth development issues are discussed. They are expected to lead the popularization of African Union policies at national level, and educate their peers to better understand how decisions made at continental level could influence their day to day lives.
Specifically, the Youth Advisory Board members is tasked with advising, assisting, supporting and advocating for the SCAA&YP project as well as facilitating direct youth engagement at local, national, regional and global levels. In 2017, the YAB seeks to recruit young people who are committed and passionate about:
- Volunteering time, skills and talents to the YAB’s activities and projects which may include travel.
- Identifying opportunities at all levels (national, regional and continental) that can be leveraged to advance the adolescent and youth development agenda.
- Maintaining consistent and effective virtual communication with fellow board members.
- Research, online content generation and videography / photography. These skills will bolster the YAB’s visibility through its social media platforms and blog
- Promoting and simplifying the policies of the African Union in peer networks and platforms.
- Timely documentation and reporting to the SCAA&YP Project Coordinator.